MTai Frame Conversion and Super Resolution Uprez use machine learning to produce results far better than conventional processes.
HOLLYWOOD—MTI Film today announces the release of Cortex v5.5, a major update to its widely used family of transcoding and workflow solutions. The new version introduces two groundbreaking options, MTai Frame Rate Conversion and MTai Super Resolution Uprez, which apply artificial intelligence to two common tasks, leading to dramatically improved results. Cortex 5.5 also includes a host of new and improved features to its core software to boost productivity, support new formats and delivery requirements, and address workflow issues from the set to the screen.
MTai Frame Rate Conversion represents a leap forward over conventional frame rate conversion processes that rely on duplicating or removing frames. The new tool uses machine learning to interpolate between frames, increasing or decreasing the frame rate without ghosting, stutter or distortion. “The results are stunning,” says MTI Film Director of Product Development Randy Reck. “The software analyzes multiple adjoining frames for motion, background and foreground elements and produces a synthetic frame impossible to distinguish from a real exposure. The motion blur is right. The details are perfect.”
MTai Super Resolution Uprez applies a similar AI-driven process to the task of increasing frame resolution. The tool analyzes adjacent pixels within a single frame to produce intermediary pixels in a smooth transition. The result is not simply a larger image, but one with greater detail and clarity. “It’s magical,” says Reck. “It looks as though you shot the same image at higher resolution.”
Both MTai tools will be available to Cortex users at an annual subscription rate. However, MTI Film is allowing current users to access the tools at no cost for a limited trial period.
New and enhanced features include:
- QA Tool Simultaneous Batch Analysis: Allows multiple modes of audio and video analysis to be conducted simultaneously.
- Dolby ATMOS Timeline Audio Waveform: Displays waveforms in timelines to facilitate ATMOS audio editing.
- Dead Pixel Render: Render only “fixed” shots when preparing IMF supplemental packages.
- NexGuard Forensic Watermarking: Add NexGuard forensic watermarking to Cortex renders.
- BBC IMF: Produce IMF packages that conform to BBC delivery requirements (developed in concert with BBC engineers).
- RDD 59-1 IMF: Produce IMF packages in SMPTE RDD 59-1.
- IMF Markers: Expands and simplifies browsing IMF markers.
- Loudness Meter: Supports dialogue-gating in loudness measurement. Adds presets for Netflix, Apple and other common standards.
- IMF Package Import and Validation: IMF packages are automatically validated upon render.
- Encrypted Assets: Use encrypted assets in any composition.
- Extract Audio Groups from MXF and QuickTime: Automatically extract audio grouping and mixes to expediate rendering.
- Auto Composition with Dolby Vision Metadata: Automatically include Dolby Vision metadata from source in composition.
- XDCAM Deliverables. Adds ability to set AFD flags.
- Composition Audio Configuration. Adds the ability to define QuickTime audio track details.
- EDL Import: Now includes color.
- Shift+Left/Shift+Right: Arrow jumps by one second.
- Copy Tool: Copy large file counts—hundreds or even thousands of files—more efficiently.
- Waveform Monitor: Now includes line select.
- DCP MXF File Naming: Adds a checkbox for file naming conventions.
- Encrypted Atmos. Encrypt ATMOS files within DCPs.
- Max Luminance Detection & Reporting: Max luminance in addition to RGB HDR 10 values.
- Output Filenames: Automatically fix bad filenames.
- DCP Enhancements: DCP seconds in KDM Time, drag-and-drop certification files.
- Sub-Clips: Generate sub-blips in Sony RAW and RED.
- SDI: Output options improved.
- Expanded Metadata Editing for DPP AS-11
- Enhanced Error Reporting for Render Issues, Including Bad File Names
- Updated Support for Blackmagic, Arri and Sony Cameras.
- Import EDL dialog hidden under player in Edit
- Fixed slow playback for long composition in Graphs
- DCP overlapping subtitles
- XAVC MXF file format fixes
- Dolby Vision XML export with target display values from all events
- Korean text capability in IMF Validator
- Drag-and-drop fixes.
CORTEX v5.5 upgrades are available through the MTI Film website to current CORTEX Enterprise, Dailies , QC and DIT+ license holders with current support contracts. Users needing to renew support should contact, MTI Film sales at firstname.lastname@example.org.
About MTI Film LLC
MTI Film is a leading provider of software and services to the entertainment industry. Its software division delivers ground-breaking tools for critical post production processes. They include the CORTEX family of products, which offer comprehensive solutions for dailies processing, media management, deliverables and more, and DRS™ NOVA, the industry standard for digital film restoration.
In Hollywood, MTI Film operates a full-service post-production facility, providing dailies, editorial, visual effects, color correction and assembly for film, television and commercials.
For more information visit www.mtifilm.com.