HOLLYWOOD—At NAB Show 2023, MTI Film (Booth N1211) will be debuting the latest versions of Cortex, its widely used family of transcoding and workflow solutions, and DRS™Nova, its industry leading digital restoration software. Cortex v5.5 includes two groundbreaking, AI-driven options, MTai Frame Rate Conversion and MTai Super Resolution Uprez. DRS™Nova v5.5 will feature a streamlined user interface and new tools for analyzing camera motion, improved auto-filtering, mask tracking, quality control and virtual timecodes. Both products will be publicly demonstrated for the first time.
“MTI Film continues to deliver innovative solutions to help post-production and restoration professionals work more efficiently and achieve better results,” says Director of Product Development Randy Reck. “We are excited about Cortex’s first-of-their-kind AI tools and DRS™Nova’s expanded toolkit, whose new features directly address input from users worldwide.”
MTai Frame Rate Conversion represents a leap forward over conventional frame rate conversion processes that rely on duplicating or removing frames. The new tool uses machine learning to interpolate between frames, increasing or decreasing frame rate without ghosting, stutter or distortion.
MTai Super Resolution Uprez applies a similar AI-driven process to the task of increasing frame resolution. The tool analyzes adjacent pixels within a single frame to produce intermediary pixels in a smooth transition. The result is not simply a larger image, but one with greater detail and clarity.
Cortex v5.5 other new and enhanced features:
- QA Tool Simultaneous Batch Analysis: Allows multiple modes of audio and video analysis to be conducted simultaneously.
- Dolby ATMOS Timeline Audio Waveform: Displays waveforms in timelines to facilitate ATMOS audio editing.
- Dead Pixel Render: Render only “fixed” shots when preparing IMF supplemental packages.
- NexGuard Forensic Watermarking: Add NexGuard forensic watermarking to Cortex renders.
- BBC IMF: Produce IMF packages that conform to BBC delivery requirements (developed in concert with BBC engineers).
- RDD 59-1 IMF: Produce IMF packages in SMPTE RDD 59-1.
- IMF Markers: Expands and simplifies browsing IMF markers.
- Loudness Meter: Supports dialogue-gating in loudness measurement. Adds presets for Netflix, Apple and other common standards.
- IMF Package Import and Validation: IMF packages are automatically validated upon render.
- Encrypted Assets: Use encrypted assets in any composition.
- Extract Audio Groups from MXF and QuickTime: Automatically extract audio grouping and mixes to expediate rendering.
- Auto Composition with Dolby Vision Metadata: Automatically include Dolby Vision metadata from source in composition.
- XDCAM Deliverables. Adds ability to set AFD flags.
- Composition Audio Configuration. Adds the ability to define QuickTime audio track details.
- EDL Import: Now includes color.
- Shift+Left/Shift+Right: Arrow jumps by one second.
- Copy Tool: Copy large file counts—hundreds or even thousands of files—more efficiently.
- Waveform Monitor: Now includes line select.
- DCP MXF File Naming: Adds a checkbox for file naming conventions.
- Encrypted Atmos. Encrypt ATMOS files within DCPs.
- Max Luminance Detection & Reporting: Max luminance in addition to RGB HDR 10 values.
- Output Filenames: Automatically fix bad filenames.
- DCP Enhancements: DCP seconds in KDM Time, drag-and-drop certification files.
- Sub-Clips: Generate sub-blips in Sony RAW and RED.
- SDI: Output options improved.
- Expanded Metadata Editing for DPP AS-11
- Enhanced Error Reporting for Render Issues, Including Bad File Names
- Updated Support for Blackmagic, Arri and Sony Cameras.
Cortex v5.5 software fixes
- Import EDL dialog hidden under player in Edit
- Fixed slow playback for long composition in Graphs
- DCP overlapping subtitles
- XAVC MXF file format fixes
- Dolby Vision XML export with target display values from all events
- Korean text capability in IMF Validator
- Drag-and-drop fixes.
DRS™Nova new features:
- User Interface: Tool consistency across all features.
- Gate Hair Fix: Track and fix gate hairs using sophisticated inpainting and temporal algorithms.
- Sync Masks: Tracked objects can now have attached masks.
- Quad Split: QC clips with user defined ROI.
- Virtual Timecodes: Set virtual timecode counter at any speed.
DRS™Nova updates and enhancements:
- Camera Motion: Analyze camera motion for each shot and create “motion segments,” including Static, Low, and High motions.
- Deflicker and Mistime: Using Global or Zonal user-defined regions, eliminate density flicker and color fading due to film emulsion aging.
- Stabilization: Repair jitter, gate weave, splice bumps and other stabilization issues with manual or automated tools.
- Dewarp: Fix geometric distortions caused by film shrinkage and aging using three or more tracking points.
- Debris Filters – Shine and AutoFilter: Shine and AutoFilter automatically detect and repair dust and defects across a range of frames with controls for minimum and maximum size.
About MTI Film LLC
MTI Film is a leading provider of software and services to the entertainment industry. Its software division delivers ground-breaking tools for critical post production processes. They include the CORTEX family of products, which offer comprehensive solutions for dailies processing, media management, deliverables and more, and DRS™ NOVA, the industry standard for digital film restoration.
In Hollywood, MTI Film operates a full-service post-production facility, providing dailies, editorial, visual effects, color correction and assembly for film, television and commercials.
For more information visit www.mtifilm.com.